Monday, May 5, 2014

Shucks The Second

My last entry involved a punctured rear tire.  Well, since then I have ordered and had installed two tires, front and rear, and a rear rotor with new pads (you bikers will know what I'm saying).  At that time I was informed that I needed new front pads (each side of the front wheel has a brake system that operates together) and that my pads were down to less than 10%.  Do you have any idea how difficult it is to ride a motorcycle in the mountains with curvy roads without using a front brake (which happens to handle 65% of the braking).

I decided to take a ride with another friend for about 250 miles.  Nice curvy roads, nice lunch, and rode with some new riders at the same time.  But had to go real easy in using that front brake.  And we crossed two mountain ridges with more "S" curves than you could think of.  Very successful ride and broke in the new tires, wore the factory coating off them in the first 50 miles.

Went back last Friday and had the new front pads installed.  Took about an hour.  Ran a couple of errands on the bike and stopped to fill her up on the way to the house.  I was going riding today, Thursday, March 27th.  Going to go South to a place that makes cheese.  Temps yesterday didn't get much above freezing.  Today, great.  Temps at 8:00 a.m. was 30*.  Donned all of my winter riding gear (brought it inside the house so it would be warmer to put on), walked out into the garage, put my helmet on, kicked her into neutral and started pushing her backward out of the garage.  She would hardly move and I heard rubber squeaking on the concrete garage floor.  Something wasn't right.

I tried her again and it just wasn't moving.  First thoughts was about the new front pads, maybe they were hanging up.  Then, ding, ding, ding, decided to put the kickstand down and check the rear tire.  Yep, plumb flat.  My new tire was airless.

Called friend Paul to tell him that I wouldn't be riding today and why.  Hung up, got the air compressor out and started airing up the tire.  To do this you have to lay down flat on the floor and with one eye closed, find the valve stem to put the hose on.  Did this, cramping fingers, cold as the garage door was open, and put way more than usual amount of air in so that I could make it to the shop before it went flat.

Finished airing her up, cranked her and rode the daylights out of her for the bike shop.  Being safe of course.  Caught the signal lights right, except for one, and pulled into the shop.  Walked in and one of the service writers asked how I was doing, wrong question.  Told him about the rear tire and it made me angry to have less than 300 miles on it.  We went out, checked the tire and yes, on the right sidewall about an inch from the end of the tread was the head of a sheetrock screw.  Shucks, can't plug it where the screw is located.  Have to buy ANOTHER new tire.

A new rear tire plus labor to put it on and balance it kills a $300 dollar bill real quick.  There's no road hazard warranty on MC tires.  I was so angry that I didn't even drink their free cup of coffee.  I just told them to order a new tire and call me when it gets in, probably around Monday.  I got on the bike and rode her back to the house post haste, and placed her on the center stand which makes it easier to rotate the tire so I can air it up next time.

So now that the rant is over, I will be prepared for a new tire and a good ride so I can take some more pics to show all of you the places near where I live.  And I hope you had a great day today.  Ride safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment