Saturday, May 17, 2014

Once Again

Darned if I didn't go and do it again.  I recharged my camera battery and went off leaving it on the dresser.  Going to need an "Ole Timer's Checklist".  I decided to take the day off from working on the deck.  So I left the house this morning around 8:30, rode up to the local McD's to have coffee with "The Elderlies".  Then left there after an hour and rode over to Sevierville to get a haircut.  After the haircut and a bit of listening to the barber's BS, I rode the back roads to Cosby, TN.  It was in the upper 50s when I left and damp with a cool breeze blowing.  Made it feel more like in the 40s.

Skirted Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg by riding the back roads.  Really pretty and green with the rains we've been having lately.  And I love those twisting back roads when they're dry.  Finally arrived at US 321 that goes from Gatlinburg to Cosby (known for it's part in making Moonshine).  Hung a right onto TN 32 and rode a couple of miles to the park entrance.  This is the last drive-to campground in the Smoky Mtn. National Park on the upper TN side of the park.  They were having a local festival of sorts, telling about making moonshine in the old days, as if it's really stopped, making quilts, some artisans with their wares, etc.

After a cup of coffee and looking around I loaded my buns back onto Sweet Thang and we headed back via the main road to Gatlinburg.  Then over to Pigeon Forge where I met an on-coming biker (with female passenger) riding one of the longest bikes I've ever seen.  And me with no camera.  It was a custom built black trike running two large V-8 engines, one stacked behind the other.

Then a little further up the road I saw a man on a blue trike and a woman on a yellow one, both sportly painted with lots of pinstripes.  Each trike had a big chrome 427 V-8 engine with a hot cam.  Some people just have money.  I always contribute it to selling drugs cause I worked my butt off for 42 years and couldn't afford one of those without emptying the savings totally.

I pulled into the County Courthouse area where the Blues and BBQ festival was being held.  This is an annual event with BBQ cook off contest, lots of Bluegrass music and plenty of various vendors.  Grabbed a pulled pork sandwich from the Governor's Winners group, then waddled back up the street to the Funnel Cake vendor, had to purchase one of those, and then high tailed it back to the house to enjoy with a cup of hot coffee.

Only rode about 100 miles but it was rather refreshing after a week of working.

To all, ride safe, enjoy life.

No comments:

Post a Comment