Sunday, June 8, 2014

Good Times and Old Friends

This posting will have no pics unless you can do mind pictures.  However, it is a good story.  While in LA last week I had time to spend with my folks and my son Shane.  He came by my Mom's most days and on Tuesday he picked me up for a trip to Denham Springs for an art class he attends.  Nice bunch of folks at the art class including my Mother-in-Law who happens to be a 92 year old artist.  It's a fun place with a great instructor leading the bunch.

A few days before I went down to LA my son called me and had another person speak to me, like one of those TV shows where you have to identify someone from their voice.  I couldn't identify it although it did sound very familiar.  Well, Shane's friend has a friend that lives next door to the mystery voice.  The voice belonged to a now retired working associate, a fellow I haven't seen in 10 plus years.  We were good working friends over the years but at one point he changed from power plants to line distribution for the same company.  We didn't see each other but once in a while then I retired and a couple of years later he retired.

To speed this story up, Shane picked me up and took me over to Glen's house where we met them at pool side.  His wife Cherry was sitting beside him under the shade of the canopy.  The purpose for the visit was not only to see Cherry and Glen but Glen was going to take Shane and I to eat the "best roast beef Po-Boy" in the N.O. area.  We shot the bull for a while and then left for the restaurant still reminiscing along the way.  Lots of old stories to tell and times to remember.  Shane's favorite roast beef sandwich was the Parkway Restaurant.  Now for the taste test.  We ordered some onion rings which was a meal in itself, the best I've had.  Later comes the Po-Boy's.  Now N.O. is the only place I know of that you can get a Po-Boy because N.O. is the only place that I know of that has French Bread they way they make it.  Any other bread is just a sandwich, not a Po-Boy.

I ordered a small which was two sections about 5 inches long each.  The large, which Glen and Shane ordered, looked like a small boat, maybe a child's pirogue which is a Cajun Canoe unlike a regular canoe.  I have to tell you, without testing the Parkway Po-Boy, that the Roast Beef Po-Boy from Bear's out in Metairie is the very best one I've ever eaten and believe me, I've had lots of roast beef po-boys over the years.  I'm glad I didn't get the large size but it sure looked inviting.

We traveled back to Glen's with bellies full, tongues frayed from all the talking and feeling like we had been seeing each other frequently for years.  It was a great day.  I had the fortune to work with many people over the years but out of all those numbers you run across a few that just stand out among all the rest.  People you can trust and talk with, people that can be counted on that become friends for life regardless of where you live.  Glen and Cherry are two of those people.  Great folks any time any day.  They certainly made my day along with my son Shane.

So, Shane, thanks for helping to make my trip extremely pleasant by getting Glen, Cherry and I together.  And thanks to Theresa for being such a nice neighbor who played a role in this because she lives next door.  As the old saying goes, "I passed a good time that day".

No comments:

Post a Comment