Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Saturday Morning Early Loop Ride

Saturday, August. 19, 2017.  Cool air with high around 90 for the day.  Have to snag a ride whenever I can so this morning I will start early and be back to fix lunch for the wife.  At 6:55 a.m. I pushed Sweet Thang out of the garage for a nice loop run.  She goes back in after the ride and I start riding Red Bug for a couple of weeks.  Temp was about 64 and when she cranked you could tell from that deep tone that she was ready to roll.

Sky was clear and the sun was just about to come out.  This was heading South from my subdivision heading to Chapman Hwy.
At Chapman Hwy., US 441, I turned East for a few miles until I got to the junction of Wye Rd.  This would take me South again to the Old Walland Hwy.
In one of the turns I was actually heading East and snapped the sun just topping the hill.

Early morning pics are nice and soft.  Here you can see the sun bathing the terrain.  Time to awaken the trees and grass.  Nice dew this morning also.
A few miles down the road I started hitting patches of fog.  The fog was heavier over the land giving everything a sort of ghostly look.
A few low mountains in the background softened by the layer of fog over the grassy area.
The fog was only thick in a couple of places but not so that you couldn't see at a safe distance.

And behold, the sun appears over a large corn field at the University of TN Agriculture Center.
I turned left onto the Old Walland Hwy. which runs along the river.  Have to be alert to bicycle riders on this road on weekends.  If you look up the highway over my windshield you can see two bicyclists peddling along.
The big barn on the UT Ag. Ctr.












When I reached US 321, I made a left turn heading from Walland to Townsend, TN.  This is where I rand into a bit of heavy fog for a short distance.
I was looking for the sun but it was still hidden behind the fog.
And then the Heavens opened up and there was Ole Sol, burning its way through.

As I said before, fog gives scenery a different view.
And then I was out of the fog heading toward the Townsend entrance to the Smoky Mtn. National Park.
But before going any farther, it was time for a coffee break at the Townsend KOA, a general stopping place.  Notice Sweet Thang gracing the entrance to the store.
After the coffee break we headed along the edge of the Park on the Pigeon River Rd.  Our destination was the Elkmont Campground area.
Some choice curves on this road and being it was early in the morning, traffic was practically zero.
I was surprised the river was so low since we had been getting a lot of rain.  I guess those spotty thunder showers didn't make this area.
The roads in the park are usually in good shape.  However, they are narrow and leaves very little room for error.
Those rock walls have zero bounce effect, just what hits them does the bouncing.
It is a nice ride on this side of the park.  And especially this morning with it being cool and no traffic.










The ride has some very soft and serene places beneath the canopy of trees, the rumbling sound of the engine, and the soft wind blowing past your helmet.
Here was a bit of tumbling water rushing to a lower elevation.  This river splits, part heading toward Cade's Cove and the other through Townsend and Walland.


One of the man waterfalls in the Park but this one is rather close to the road and it has a large pull-off area.  I have a couple of family members that have crossed the river, walked to the falls, crossed the falls water and back across the river all during the month of November.  They come from the crazy side of the family.
A shot looking down at the river at the Sinks.  Kayakers love this area when the river is really flowing.
Water rushing beneath the bridge at the Sinks.



There is a large parking area here and a nice observation area below the parking lot.
Here's Sweet Thang relaxing while I'm taking pictures.
Then we ride on, take a turn to the right into the Elkmont Campground area.
Glare comes from the morning sun but it's still a nice view of the Little Pigeon River that comes through the campground.  This area at one time was a very large sawmill operation.

Here I enter Daisy Town, the section of the old Appalachian Club houses that the Park left.  They are in the process of repairing them.

Summer homes for many families and overnight stays for the hikers of that era.
Some were very large and some was just large enough to have a cot and a fireplace.











I just love these old homes.  Just imagine the stories told while sitting in front of a fire in the Fall.
Or even what occurred along the trail hiked during the day.  
 How about the stories told while relaxing on the porch during the summer months when the houses were used the most.
Closeness of homed probably allowed for a lot of sharing of time, tales and events with some of your neighbors.
I stopped directly in front of this house and noticed there were three thermos bottles sitting on the porch railing.  A man in a Park uniform walked up and about the same time a Lady joined him.  She had been raking up debris across the street by another house.  I jocking asked if this was the coffee break resting place.  They laughed and said yes.  Then they asked me if I had a coffee cup and then the man said you can use this thermos lid.  So I joined them for a cup of coffee.

The man did restoration work for the National Park Service.  His wife was a volunteer with him.  They were originally from Florida but had worked with the Park Service for many years.  She told me they had spent the last three winters in Yellowstone National Park.  They may spend the winter in East TN this year as there is a lot of work to do in making these buildings safe for visitors.  We had a nice discussion and during this time I met a younger gentleman from this area.  I assumed he may be a contracted worker.  He was working on the building next door.

We also discussed the difference in material sizing since these buildings were constructed.  The older gentleman couldn't understand why the Park Service did not allow them to take materials from the houses that were destroyed so that it would match up.  Anyway, after kicking the can down the road I thanked them for the coffee and eased on down the road to take another picture or two.

Amazing who you may meet along the way and if in the right attitude state how much you can share with each other.  These folks were interesting and were doing interesting work.  I hope to see them again soon.  Maybe I can bring the coffee next time.

All taped off while reconstruction efforts are taking place.
 Many families have lived in or spent the summers in these off the beaten path homes.
Some of the architecture in the construction of some of these homes was solid and sound.  They had to be since they are still standing for all these years.
New beam under the porch and new porch railing.
Facing the sun so the picture quality is terrible.  However, this is one of my favorite little houses.  When I say little, I mean just that.  barely enough room to sleep.  Sure would keep fighting down as there's not other room you can run off to and pout.
Nothing fancy, a roof and sides with a floor to keep you off the dirt and a chimney to use for cooking or warm the place.  No Wi-Fi, no cable TV or phone.  Just easy living without all of the outside woes going on.
One of the latter time period home built.  Love the log structure and the cedar shake shingles in the gable.
And the Little Pigeon River flowing by the area and through the Campground.  Many memories here over the years.  These memories include those of my family and especially my two sons.  They really enjoyed the area as did I.  We would tube when the water was high enough and the wife would drive down the highway toward Cades Cove and pick us up, sopping wet and shivering.  Then it was hot chocolate time.
On the way down the mountain heading for Gatlinburg.
Downtown Gatlinburg, vacation capital of the Appalachians.  However, early in the morning today lacked people.  Lazy scoffers were probably sleeping in this morning.


Gatlinburg caters to the vacationers of all ages.  This area, Sevierville, Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg is definitely a family vacationing area.  No Las Vegas here.  And they keep the area really clean and decorated according to the season.
The main drag in Gatlinburg heading toward Pigeon Forge.
Sorry about the pic, was looking into the sun again.  However, I know one person or three that will know what's the next place after this sign.  Cash only, no plastic or checks.
After Gatlinburg I made a right turn staying on US 321 and headed for Cosby, TN.
 Here I'm coming into Cosby, TN where US 321 turns left and TN 32 takes you to the right.
From Cosby I headed toward Newport, TN, once known as the Bootleg Capital of TN.  And I'm sure it still has a little whiskey traffic going on.
Looks as if they are going to make this a 4-Lane highway into Newport.  I don't know if those are clouds or smoke signals but as long as it's peaceful, just ride, Cowboy, ride.
At Newport I stopped, grabbed a cup of coffee and then hit I-40 for the fast way back to the house.  Needed to be back to the house around noon.  So I stretched Sweet Thang out, let her breath deeply and away we went.

Took the 407 Exit off I-40 which puts you on TN 66 heading toward Sevierville and the Smoky Mountain National park.  After a few miles I exited right onto TN 338, better known as Boyds Creek Hwy. and headed to the house. Arrived at 12:15p.m.

Today's ride was 127 miles spread over 5 hours.  Not a long ride but an interesting ride.  Met two fellow bikers, three preservationists and several other people that were interesting to talk with.  Not to mention seeing some wonderful scenery.

So until the next Valkyrie Adventure I hope you will slow down and smell the roses or coffee or whatever and get to meet some of your fellowmen.  There are some very nice people out in this great USA.  Get to know some.  And drive/ride safe.  Don't forget to look for bikers, bicyclists and others that may be in your path.  Could be me and if I'm still breathing, I can be a really nasty guy.

Today'

No comments:

Post a Comment